Delicious Gluten-Free Strawberry Banana Donuts that are soft, lightly sweetened with honey and baked, not fried, with zero oil or butter for the perfect Valentine’s Day treat!
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and I just love that it falls on a Sunday this year! It’s the first Valentine’s Day that my daughter will really be able to enjoy so I wanted to make her something fun and sweet, but still on the healthier side. So I made her these absolutely DELICIOUS strawberry banana donuts! No need for tons of sweetener because they’re naturally sweetened with the fruit as well as a bit of honey. I topped them off with some melted chocolate that I colored pink to make them pretty and festive.
This is actually my first time ever making donuts, and let me tell you, they are so easy! These donuts are baked, not fried, made with zero oil, butter or refined sugar and they only take about 10 to 12 minutes in the oven! Super simple to whip up on those lazy weekend mornings and, of course, I added fun sprinkles to celebrate Valentine’s Day which my daughter absolutely loved! Not only are these great for kids, but they make really great Galentine’s treats for your girlfriends!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Almond flour
- Oat flour
- Baking powder
- Bananas (very ripe!)
- Almond milk (or milk of choice)
You can easily make your own oat flour by blending rolled oats (or instant oats) in your food processor or blender for about 60 seconds until they resemble a fine, powdery flour. Super easy! You can of course just buy your own oat flour at the store, but this method saves you money and the flour will last up to three months in your pantry. The ratio for oat flour is one cup of oats = one cup of oat flour so it’s pretty easy to measure out.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY BANANA DONUTS
- Make the batter. In a large bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder and salt while in a separate bowl whisk together the mashed banana, eggs, milk, honey and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the flours and mix until just combined (you don’t want to over mix the batter). Then fold in the finely chopped strawberries, making sure you chopped the strawberries really small.
- Get out your donut pan. To make these donuts you’ll need two 6-count donut pans like these. Spray them really good with nonstick spray so that your donuts will pop right out! Then, using a pastry bag or ziplock bag, spoon the batter into the bag and snip off the corner. Pipe the batter into each donut well until they are all filled (this recipe makes exactly 12 donuts).
- Bake the donuts! Pop the donuts into the oven at 350 degrees F for about 10 to 12 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. You want to be careful about over-baking them because donuts actually bake really quickly!
- Make the glaze. While the donuts are cooling on a wire rack, you can make the chocolate glaze. In a small bowl, add a 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips and about a tablespoon of coconut oil and melt in the microwave. You’ll want to melt the chocolate in 30 second intervals, mixing each time until you reach that perfect melty consistency.
- Decorate and enjoy! Once your chocolate is melted, dip the tops of each donut into the chocolate and decorate with fun sprinkles! I found these sprinkles from Layer Cake Shop which has a whole assortment to choose from for any holiday!
WHAT KIND OF GLAZE SHOULD I USE?
To top these donuts, I used a white chocolate glaze that I colored with pink food coloring, but there are other options you could do too! I’ve made donuts before with the most delicious cream cheese glaze that is super easy to whip up. All you need is about a 1/2 cup of cream cheese, a tablespoon of honey (or maple syrup), and a few tablespoons of milk to thin out the glaze. Microwave the cream cheese for about 30 seconds until it has softened, then whisk in the honey and milk. Then just dip the donuts into the glaze and top with sprinkles!
MORE BRUNCH RECIPES
Hope you all enjoy these delicious strawberry banana donuts and if you love this recipe as much as we do, please leave me a five-star rating below and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using the hashtag #eatyourselfskinny! I love seeing all your delicious recreations!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
For the Donuts:
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 1 1/2 bananas)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together almond flour, oat flour, baking powder and salt while in a separate bowl whisk together the mashed banana, eggs, milk, honey and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the flours and mix until just combined, being careful not to over mix the batter. Then fold in the finely chopped strawberries, mixing until incorporated.
- Generously spray the donut pans with nonstick spray to make the donuts won’t stick to the pan. Then, using a pastry bag or ziplock bag, spoon the batter into the bag and snip off the corner. Pipe the batter into each donut well until they are all filled.
- Bake the donuts in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let them sit in the pan for about 2 minutes before removing and letting cool on a wire rack.
- While the donuts are cooling, add the chocolate and coconut oil to a small microwavable-safe bowl and melt in the microwave in 15 to 30 second intervals (mixing each time) until you reached the desired consistency. Dip the tops of the donuts into the melted chocolate and immediately top with sprinkles. Enjoy!
* To store the donuts, place in a sealed airtight container for up to 3 days.
* You can also freeze these donuts (unfrosted) and simply thaw them out overnight so they’re ready for the morning!
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 10.5 g
- Sodium: 73.3 mg
- Fat: 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.4 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.